Saturday, February 2, 2008

If They Talk, Should We Listen?



Thinking of my recently acquired Burn longsleeve (a crucial trade if there ever was one) got me on another serious Burn trip and so I found myself browsing YouTube for some live footage of old Burn shows. I stumbled upon this gem by doing so and have watched it countless times since then. I'm not what you'd call a true YouTuber but finding a video like this one definitely convinced me that there's a place in my life (and heart) for that website.

Here we have Burn, rippin' it up in Boston, March 14th, 1992, performing one of my favourite songs; "New Morality". This show looks so fucking awesome, I wish I could find the whole set and do frontflips off my couch while watching it. By the looks of it, "New Morality" was the opener of their set that day. Don't miss the sweet dive at 00:43 quickly followed by Chaka's appearance on stage... and boy, does he look cool. Rocking a flannel, a baseball cap and the mic stand, he stomps all over that stage and seems to be oozing with self confidence. What an awesome frontman.

Despite sporting a haircut some might consider weird, Gavin still looks hard as fuck in this video and he is definitely into it. Going off like a man possessed... love it. I have no idea really who the second guitarist is, if anyone has more info feel free to hit me up or leave a comment.

While we are on the subject of "New Morality", I would strongly advise those of you who haven't yet to pick up Burn's "Last Great Sea" EP. This EP was released on Revelation in 2003 and features the last 3 songs they recorded in 1992, shortly before breaking up (also known as the "New Morality" demo). All three songs on that record are so fucking good and feature some of the most intelligent, creative and hard riffing ever in hardcore. Not to mention Alan Cage's insane drumwork or Chaka's incredible vocals/lyrics.

Burn resurfaced a few times for different reunions after that and got back together for a while in the early 00's, releasing the "Cleanse" EP for Equal Vision, which is definitely a cool record... Listening to the three songs on "Last Great Sea" however, one cannot help but wonder what would've happened if Burn hadn't broken up back then and released an album featuring these songs and more material of the same quality. That's the kind of thinking that makes your brain melt... Seriously.

5 comments:

Malik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Malik said...

That BURN longsleeve is truly awesome sir.

Actually, that was one of the reasons my iPod was forced to deliver over 3 hours of Gavins riffs to my ears next day i saw you. I went thru everything i have from demo tapes, live sets to both ep's. Such a pleasure.

Speaking of BURN videos, I think I have at least two video sets, both equally amazing. Gotta watch it tonight.

Uncontrollable said...

There's nothing that's NOT extremely cool in this vid.

Chaka looks like some sort of
superhero of hardcore.

Why did it take REV 11 years to release the Last Great Sea recordings? Thinking about that is like staring in the sun.

Kei Yasui said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kei Yasui said...

March 14th is my Birthday. On March 14th 1992 I was celebrating my 7th at Post Corner's Pizza in Norwalk, CT (Home of the Anthrax).