Saturday, February 9, 2008

I Don't Want To Go Down To The Basement

Some odds, ends and random thoughts. First of all, an update on the Burn - Live In Boston '92 front... I have found the entire set that YouTube clip was taken from, needless to say I was as stoked as a 4 year old with a giant lollipop. I didn't have to look far either, it was in my man Larry's indredible video archive. I can also gladly say that the rest of their set that day was equally awesome. They follow "New Morality" with "Godhead" and then "Tales Of Shatou". And that's just the start of the set. I know. Mind boggling. As if the fact that those three songs exist isn't crazy enough, Burn just busted them out in that order. They did play a lot "new" material at that show, including songs that were never released (ever), but that didn't seem to hinder the crowd's response much. From the inbetween song banter I gathered Eye For An Eye and Supertouch probably also played that gig. Although the Eye For An Eye shoutout could've also been due to the fact they were playing Boston. Chaka was also wearing one of their shirts underneath the flannel and the red crewneck sweater. Style icon.

On to more current events... Justice has finished the recordings for their final 12" EP "Live And Learn" and posted up a new song off it last week. Peep their MySpace page or the Powered Records site for an MP3 of "A Quiet Pain". Awesome song. Expect a review of the whole record up here in the next few weeks. Don't forget about their final show, March 8th in Temse, Belgium with True Colors (their new 7" is dope as well), Blacklisted, Dirty Money, Seed Of Pain and Hoods Up.

Blacklisted's new album will be coming out at the end of March, I'm sure most of you have already checked out "I Am Weighing Me Down", the new track that they've put online. I absolutely love that song, it has a solid flow, raging riffs and the structure of a pop song. Check the Deathwish site or Blacklisted's MySpace if you have no idea what I'm talking about. Please also check Blacklisted's blog for an inside look at why this band does what they do and what "I Am Weighing Me Down" is about.

Also on the Deathwish front, Cold World has finally finished recording their epic debut full length "Dedicated To Babies Who Came Feet First". From what I've heard this record will surprise friend and foe. Check out this YouTube film that documents their experiences recording with Billy Grazidei of Biohazard fame.



Belgium's Vogue also has a brand new one sided 2 song 7" out called "No Vogue". This band is wild. Fans of unrelenting, raw early 80's inspired hardcore need to hear Vogue. More info on www.voguevoguevogue.tk or the Holy Shit Records website.

Say what you want but I know Terror is currently recording a new album too and I can't wait to hear what they come up with. "Always The Hard Way" was a definite winner so I expect great things.

The months April and May hold a lot of promise as well: Down and Portishead tours respectively.

To wrap this up, I have been brewin' on some ideas for this blog in order to keep things interesting for both you and me. I am still excited about this project and would like to thank everyone for the awesome feedback. I still expect the interviews with Klaas Voets (Rhythm To The Madness) and Jason Mazzola (Cloak/Dagger) to be up here soon so keep checking back. If you'd like to read a recent interview with me, check out the It's For Life blog in the links section.

Be safe.

No comments: