Monday, April 21, 2008

Blacklisted: Heavier Than Heaven, Lonelier Than God / Review

















Ever since I picked up a copy of "Our Youth Is Wasted", I have been hooked on Blacklisted. I can't even remember why I picked it up, I guess I kinda felt like I was really going to dig this band. Naming yourself after a Breakdown song is always a strong move. There was something mysterious about Blacklisted, something different. Musically and lyrically, they just made sense to me. Ever since then I have immensely enjoyed every record they've done, even though none of them sound exactly alike... Or maybe exactly because of that? In turn, it makes sense too, as almost every release was written by another songwriter/guitarist/line up. However, the vibe on all those records was always undeniably Blacklisted's. Throughout the years, thanks to the miraculous ways of hardcore, I have gotten to know the people in Blacklisted quite well. I've toured, hung out, eaten Haribo Cherries and watched Down with them, so most likely this is not going to be the most objective review you're going to find on the world wide web, but then again, fuck it. This ain't science, it's punk rock.

With last year's "Peace On Earth, War On Stage" EP having been so well received and turning so many non-believers into believers, the least one can say is that this record was highly anticipated. Unlike during their earlier days, Blacklisted was able to hit the studio with the same people (plus one) that also recorded that EP and again they chose to work with the wizard of Salem, Kurt Ballou... There's not much to be said about that, you really don't have to change a winning team, do you?

I've listened to this record a retarded amount of times already, yet it only took me one listen to be able to tell Dave Walling (Blacklisted bassplayer, unashamed Euro, elf master) that I thought it was awesome but it was going to take me a long time to figure out how to mosh to it. I don't know if I've figured that out already (have I ever?), but one thing I know for sure is that they've managed to structure their second full length album real well. I read an interview with George (Blacklisted singer, hardcore encyclopedia) recently in which he said they tried to make it a real "album". Vinyl style, with an A and a B side and with a lot attention paid to tracklisting. Even though I have the CD version, that clearly worked real well. So let's review this record as if I was reviewing the LP...

"Heavier Than Heaven, Lonelier Than God" starts off with 2 absolute ragers; "Stations" and "Touch Test". Perfect way to start off an album, as both songs are short and go straight for the throat. Opening track "Stations" was the first song off the album that I ever heard, when last summer Shawn (Blacklisted drummer, gifted story teller, Ipod dealer) played me an early demo version of it in their van. I was especially impressed with the song's epileptic climax, it reminded me of Glassjaw for some reason. Before you know what hit you, "Touch Test" kicks in. One of my favourite songs off this album, no doubt. "When I throw these fits, you only see what you want to see". Relentless headbanging. I love how it builds up and then breaks down again, to make way for "I Am Weighing Me Down". As dumb as it may sound, I gotta say this song just flat out rocks. It's structured as a pop song, has a chorus that is catchy as hell and a Refused feel to it. I know the whole world will compare it to Nirvana due to the "Hey, Hey, Hey" part, but I dunno about that. I mean, sure Blacklisted loves Nirvana but there's an ancient saying that says that one swallow doesn't make a summer and I'll just leave it at that.














Before a re-recorded version of "Memory Layne" (originally on their "Peace On Earth, War On Stage" EP), the song "Always" is thrown at us. Is it a coincidence that "Always" also is a Floorpunch song? I think not. Either way, this track is another winner, with a flow similar to "I Am Weighing Me Down", though not as catchy 'cause it doesn't have the same type of chorus. It ends with a huge riff that reminds of huge waves crashing. Closing Side A is the somewhat more experimental and drawn out "Circuit Breaker", a song that showcases how much Blacklisted has grown and how willing they are to take risks. Another personal favourite. When the song breaks downs into eerie feedback/noise about halfway through and picks back up with George proclaming "You wear the clothes of a beggar, but underneath you're a thief", that's when you'll see the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

"Matrimony" is another furious, short rager that has some weird later Black Flag styled guitar shredding, an immense Anselmo-esque scream and a few questions to raise about the institution of marriage. Again, perfect song to start off Side B with. "Self Explosive" is cool, but "Burning Monk" is really where it's at. It just doesn't let up. From fast and violent into groovy into Cro-Magnon territory... Hats off. Lyrically, this song features some of my favourite Blacklisted lyrics to date... "There's nothing to do but stand and watch the truth roll it's eyes at the lies as it lies down and dies inside". Read it again if you want to, it's that good.

Next to "Memory Layne", Blacklisted also re-recorded "Canonized" for this album, an absolute favourite of mine so I am not going to complain about that. Every time Bean (Blacklisted riffmaster extra ordinaire, chain smoking vegetarian) starts playing that first riff it feels like the world is going to end. Call me crazy, but that's how it feels. It's weird how short this record seems while there is so much going on, so before you know it, you're listening to "Wish"... A daring, slower song. It's dark and haunting but not in a metal way. I don't even know what to say to describe this song. I don't even have to, since I've gone through pretty much every song on this record and by now you know that I'm more than just a little into it.

As far as the artwork goes, I think the Melissa Farley photography works real well with the content of the album, both sonically and lyrically. Love the cover picture. The CD booklet has a different picture that goes along with every song and again, I think it works real well. Clearly a lot of thought, time and care went into this and it shows. The only thing I'm not so down with is the picture on the outside of the booklet, but that's it. Even if a discman is pretty old school.

I'm glad to see how Blacklisted has managed to expand and renew their sound, without losing track of their essence. Both musically this is a record that took a lot of guts to make, by a band that truly lives and breathes hardcore. Frankly, music this brutally honest and real is becoming a rare breed so if that's what you're into, you need to hear this.

www.myspace.com/blacklisted
www.imwithblacklisted.blogspot.com
www.deathwishinc.com

No comments: